View Single Post
Old
02-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Stripes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 View Post
Two things:

1) I did that once. Spent about a year in high school as an inline ref. Also did some umpiring of girls LL softball. Hardest, most damn difficult jobs I've ever had. Gained a tremendous appreciation for the difficult job sports officials have to do.

Having said that though.....

2) I shouldn't have to be a full-time waiter in order to expect to have the drink I asked for brought to me, free of spittle. I shouldn't have to be a world class chef in order to get a prime rib that isn't burnt into a crispy hockey puck. The leagues/tournaments we pay to play in provide us with an officiating service....and if that service isn't up to snuff, it the right of the customers to complain, vent their frustrations, etc.

Yes, some of it goes too far. Hell, I freely admit that I've stepped over the line on more than one occasion. I've mellowed in my older post-pubesecent years, and so now I don't get as worked up as I used to over a phantom trip or a missed offside. But some of the stuff in this thread is just blatant incompetence and, in a sport like this, that sort of thing can lead to serious injury.

Any ref who has ever played or watched a day of hockey before in their lives knows and understands this dynamic. Some of my current teammates/friends are refs. Oddly enough, they are the HARSHEST critics of the other refs. Oh sure, they are far more forgiving of a missed hockey play, but they are often the most outspoken (privately and on the ice) about poor calls involving player safety and game control because they know what should and shouldn't be acceptable.....even for an amateur ref. And when they ref, they often know when they deserve to take some grief, too.
Officiating is not the same as being a waiter (or other jobs where you are trained before you start serving customers). Officiating is something that you just don't understand what the job entails unless you do it yourself. At the amateur level, the only training before an official hits the ice for games, is a few hours in a classroom. Games are our practices. That's reality.

There is no incompetence of officiating that leads to injuries of players. Officials don't control players, they simply apply the rules. In minor hockey, players actions fall under the responsibility of the coaches (yes, that is in the rulebook). In the beer leagues, you are all adults. If you cannot control yourselves because a referee didn't call this and didn't call that, then you have problems that go beyond not liking a referee.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote