View Single Post
Old
02-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Gino 14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Ok, so yesterday I took the plunge and bought my first hockey stick. I'm 28 and have wanted to play since I was a teenager but circumstances never permitted. I have a boy who is old enough to play now and the time seemed right for both of us to start.

I picked up a wooden Sher-wood 5030 PMP with a Bouchard blade at a bargain price, honestly not sure how it compares to the rest but it feels comfortable enough and I won't feel too bad about abusing it.

Aside from noodling around and practicing my shot, what can I do to improve at a reasonable pace? What equipment should I buy next? Anything I should know before heading to the rink? Thanks for any and all suggestions!
Congrats, I was 41 when I started, my daughter was playing and got me going on our pond. I'm of the belief that buying equipment right off is the best thing you can do. Falling sucks and it hurts, the equipment makes falling less painful so you think less about it and can enjoy skating more. Go to stick practices and practice but also watch what others do and try and copy them. Work on hockey stops on both sides, don't just favor your good side. Everything you do you'll have to do to both sides so make sure both sides are equal. Keep going with your boy, you'll be amazed at how fast he advances and you'll get to enjoy it first hand.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote