View Single Post
Old
02-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck09 View Post
Hopefully it's OK if I steal my thread back with some Olympic updates .
Sure thing, as long as it's ok that people continue to steal it for their own.

Quote:
Team USA 3-1 win vs Swiss (I was lucky enough to attend this game. It had a completely different atmosphere than a Canucks game, very fun, even though I had no real rooting interest aside from my HFNHL players)
Very cool to get your on-the-ground updates from this game, and from the city in general. Sounds like an amazing (if traffic-congested) time to be in Canada's most beautiful city. By all accounts, you guys are putting on a great event, conditions at Cypress notwithstanding (and while that was a calculated risk, this winter has been unpredictably, freakishly warm, so it's just bad luck).

Quote:
Ryan Malone - Used his size and strength fairly well I thought. Showed off more chest than any other player on the ice as well thanks to the lack of an undershirt and low cut neck line on the USA jerseys. Scored an ugly PP goal in front of the net off a Ryan Suter point shot.
I think Malone is very important to this team. With all the long-established US Olympians (Weight, Guerin, Roenick, Roslton, etc.) at home watching on TV, Malone's veteran presence should be a steadying influence. And on a team with a ton of speed and skill, but not as much snarl up front, Malone's physical presence will be very important as well. The US has an outside shot at stealing a medal in these games (often it's the underdog who comes away with the bronze against the team that failed to reach the final), and of course Miller will have the most to say about that, but Malone's role will be important too. I can't wait for Sunday's US/Canada game!

Quote:
Team Russia 8-2 win vs Latvia
Evgeni Nabokov - I didn't get to watch any of this game as I was on my way home from a 10 hour day walking around Vancouver, got home and passed out. 18 saves on 20 shots, picked up the win, good enough for me.
Nabokov and Bryzgalov are going to get a lot more work than any of the goalies from Sweden, Canada or the US, because of the significantly weaker blueline in front of them. But the scoring prowess of the forwards means they'll be able to look forward to giving up two, three, four goals a night and still winning by a healthy margin. I think Russia's the most vulnerable of the big three, but also the most frightening.

God, I love the Olympics!

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote