View Single Post
Old
02-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Canuck09

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Very cool to get your on-the-ground updates from this game, and from the city in general. Sounds like an amazing (if traffic-congested) time to be in Canada's most beautiful city. By all accounts, you guys are putting on a great event, conditions at Cypress notwithstanding (and while that was a calculated risk, this winter has been unpredictably, freakishly warm, so it's just bad luck).
Yesterday was my first trip Downtown since the Olympics started. I actually live in Langley so I'm 45 mins east of Vancouver and not much has changed in my neck of the woods.

Vehicle traffic heading into Vancouver is actually a fraction of what it usually is. Lots of locals have either left town to avoid the chaos, are working from home or have taken the time off work. The people silly enough to try and drive in the Downtown core deserve to be stuck in traffic all day. We (the g/f and I) drove to Burnaby, over the Port Mann bridge (aka Hell in morning rush hour) with zero delays, jumped on the SkyTrain with zero delays, and walked around all day. There is obviously increased foot traffic but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Getting out of the hockey game was a disaster as everyone was routed out of a few exits instead of the usual dozen or so.

We walked around after the game to look at as much as possible but we didn't get into many of the Pavillions that were set up because neither of us were willing to wait the 1-3 hours to get in. The atmosphere was great, TONS of Canada gear, cheers whenever something positive was shown on one of the many screens and lots of International support as well. I was expecting to see some Anti-Olympic protest type stuff but didn't encounter any at all where we went.

I've avoided reading too much about how the world thinks we're doing as the host city because much of the early stuff was negative about the opening ceremonies and violent protests. I've always been a big fan of the Olympics (both summer and winter) so I'm trying to watch as much as I can and enjoy it while it lasts.

Canuck09 is offline   Reply With Quote