View Single Post
02-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Ohio Jones
Game on...
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Canuck09 View Post
I've avoided reading too much about how the world thinks we're doing as the host city because much of the early stuff was negative about the opening ceremonies and violent protests. I've always been a big fan of the Olympics (both summer and winter) so I'm trying to watch as much as I can and enjoy it while it lasts.

Actually, the opening ceremonies went over very well for the most part - slight hiccup with the hydraulics wasn't a real issue, they dealt with it well. Some whining form within Canada about the anthem, and about Michaele Jean looking like she was sleeping, but that's about it. Over all it was a good show.

Everyone seems to recognize that protests come hand in hand with an international event of this scale. Nobody has any issues with peaceful protests, and it's clear the limited violence that occurred was not actually from legitimate protesters at all, it was a small minority of criminals looking to exploit the protest for their own jollies.

Vancouver is putting on a good show - and even though I poked fun, they've actually even got through the weather challenges at Cypress tremendously well - the freestyle and snowcross events were terrific.

In fact, I think the only dark mark to the games has been the tragic death of the Georgian Luger, but while that was obviously extremely unfortunate, nobody seems to feel it reflects poorly on Vancouver (or Whistler for that matter).

So enjoy the games with a clear conscience!

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote