View Single Post
02-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Insolent Upstart
vCash: 50
Originally Posted by FreakyEuro View Post
In our case it was we had a population explosion after the WWII and the centrally controlled communist economy needed to deal with a dire need of lodging somehow. They certainly thought concrete-instant housing will be the long term cheap answer.

I think in your case, guys, it might have been similar as Malmo is immigrant-heavy, maybe they opted to build the infrastructure this way (I remember one remarkably ugly concrete mall in Malmo that strongly reminded me of home).

Which is a shame, since Scandinavian design tends to be chic. However there are a couple of concrete uglies even in Copenhagen. Maybe it was the seventies??
There weren't actually that many immigrants in Sweden when the national program that spawned all these ugly concrete ghettos began back in the mid 60's, they were initially built to provide "quality" living for the poor who had previously been living in old, worn down and overpopulated parts of the cities, which is all good, the problem was that they were built with unrealistic goals of creating a Social Democratic influenced functionalist "paradise" for the working class, to make the people who lived there into "good citizens".

The shocking thing is that it actually worked for a while at the start, but then the reality of how incredibly stupid it is to place thousands of poor and low income people in the same place caught up with the project.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote