View Single Post
Old
02-17-2010, 02:21 PM
ChiTownHawks

vCash: 500
I am new to ice hockey as well. I used to play roller hockey and I ice skated a bit when I was a kid. This year I started playing pick up ice hockey with my friends and we try to get out there every weekend. The nice thing about that is I can get out there and play without going to rat hockey or something else that is really intimidating. It has helped me work on my skating as well as stick handling and my shot. Unfortunately for you being down in Carolina I dont think it is consistently cold enough for outdoor rinks.

Like some others have said I also play in a floor hockey league in Chicago and it is very difficult and at times I find it harder then ice. The court is so small that you really need to be on target with your passes and it also forces you to play with your head up and get rid of the puck quickly. I would recommend one of these if there are any in your area as it has really helped me improve. I actually got my first hatty last night!

My final piece of advice would be to take Adult Beginner Hockey Lessons. I am starting one of those up this spring and when I asked the instructor about the classes he said that every class is an hour and he said more than half of that time is spent on skating b/c that is the most important thing in hockey.

Good luck and have fun I know I am.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote