Thread: Proposal: Jeff Carter to Calgary
View Single Post
Old
02-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Idk...it seemed like a lot of the goals carter was scoring before the break were coming down the left side. I always thought it would be interesting to try Carter at LW, I think he might get more space to work with, especially with Richards as his center. When I think of other right handed snipers in the league like Carter, I think of Kovy and Ovy, both of whom play LW, and are deadly coming down the left side with that right handed shot. Plus Richards and Carter are also best friends so youd have to figure there would be some chemistry there.
Look, I'm sure Carter could be an effective winger in this league if he was put there and stayed there.

However, you're ignoring some stuff in thinking about this:

1) Part of the reason you want Carter at center is because he gets the puck on his stick more at center (Note: this is why Giroux likes to play center, as well...and people like him there). You note that he looks good coming down the wing...as a center, he can go to either wing side without being out of position (he has more room to operate as a center).

2) You are completely ignoring the other side of the puck, and the defensive ramifications of taking Carter (or Richards) away from center and then replacing them with someone else. Richards is an excellent defensive center, and Carter isn't shabby himself. Carter is also our only center with any real size.

He scored 46 goals last year, is on pace for 37 this year with an outside shot at 40. It isn't broken, why are we trying to fix it?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote