Thread: Proposal: Jeff Carter to Calgary
View Single Post
Old
02-18-2010, 12:10 PM
infidelappel*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Idk...it seemed like a lot of the goals carter was scoring before the break were coming down the left side. I always thought it would be interesting to try Carter at LW, I think he might get more space to work with, especially with Richards as his center. When I think of other right handed snipers in the league like Carter, I think of Kovy and Ovy, both of whom play LW, and are deadly coming down the left side with that right handed shot. Plus Richards and Carter are also best friends so youd have to figure there would be some chemistry there.
I don't understand why people fail to grasp this concept, but I'll try again:
Carter does not need to be a LW to score from the left side. He's obviously finding his way over to that way and able to score goals from there, so you don't need to sacrifice his size in the center of the rink and defensive abilities just to have him on the wing.

Carter is still free to drift over to the left side off of the rush and take the shot from there - that's the purpose of weaving on the attack. Additionally, in the offensive zone, he can use his big body in a cycle to come off of that side and shoot as well.

If we had another big, defensively capable center who can provide the physical presence that Carter can in his stead on our roster, then sure, move him to wing. But we don't have that, so why shift him over and then have a weaker center on his line he'll only have to make up for?

Having him at C doesn't prohibit him from moving over to the wing off the rush and off the cycle - which are the only times that having him on that wing for the off-wing shot even makes sense.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote