View Single Post
Old
01-24-2005, 12:17 AM
doc5hole

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins_and_Main
The 87-88 Oilers were indeed something else. Although, I have to correct you in the fact they swept the Bruins 4-0. They went 16-2 during that playoff run, only losing to the Winnipeg Jets (4-1) and Detroit Red WIngs (4-1). I remember them sweeping Calgary in 4 straight. That was suprising at the time.
Actually the Oilers swept the Bruins in 4 5/8 games, as Game 4 was tied when the lights went out in the third period of Game 4 at the Garden. Acc. to bylaws, Game 4 was to be replayed in its entirety only if necessary and at the end of the series. So Game 7 would have been in Boston.
The '88 (w/o Coffey) and '90 (w/o 99) winners were definitely more industrial and might stack up better in actual matchups vs. the all-time best. But I actually prefer the '87 Oilers, who eked it out in seven vs. Philly with its most matured version of the offensive juggernaut, then including Kent Nilsson and still with Coffey.
And speaking of John Flyers Fan who never hesitates to prop up the Bullies in hypothetical matchups vs. the Bruins (apparently hasn't gotten over '77 and '78), the real question is which Flyers team he prefers, the Lindberg Flyers of 84-85 (Poulin was hurt for the finals, right?) or the 86-87 Flyers of Hextall's Conn Smythe ...