View Single Post
Old
09-25-2003, 05:36 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
I'm gonna take the pessmistic view.

I don't think our defense is good enough to be considered a Stanley Cup contender right now.

It needs to be addressed. Ed Belfour can't stand on his head again this year.

Obviously, the Leafs management felt that last years defense wasnt good enough because we acquired Wesley and Housley at the deadline.

And if they thought last years defense wasn't good enough, this years is even worse.

The problem is, we don't have a number one defenseman (Kaberle and Mccabe are both more number 2 guys). We have an aging veteran Marchment whom at this point in his career should not be seing second pair minutes. Berg, well he's just way to inconsistent to count on for strong minutes. Jackman, see Berg. Which brings us to Wade Belak and probably Jamie Pushor whom are no better than depth guys. It really is looking ugly.

We essentially have 2 number two defenseman, 3 number 5-6 guys and 2 Pressbox, AHL worthy matter.

I'm sorry but it's just not good enough to compete with some of the better teams in the NHL. Yes we have an outstanding offense whom when healthy (key word here) is among the best groups in the league. And we have an excellent, HOF worthy goaltender in Ed Belfour. But the defense just won't cut it.

Imagine if our backend sees a few bad injuries? We could see three rookie defenseman seing top 6 minutes. You can't even expect to make the playoffs like that.

I'm just not sure this will be a great year for the Leafs. I think we should be able to make the playoffs, but the division is Ottawa's to lose.

We have to face the reality, as Leaf fans, that this tea, RIGHT NOW is just not a Stanley Cup contender. We can try to look past it and we can try to be bias as much as we want. But we can't hide the real truth and it's a bit depressing.