View Single Post
Old
01-25-2005, 08:13 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres11forever
Mystery solved, Henri Richard is #5 in today's paper. But Hab fans, do we agree? Somehow I feel that both Yvan Cournoyer and Guy Lapointe should have reached the list ahead of a couple of the names on Red Fisher's list...I don't have 50 years covering the Canadiens but I do recognize their contributions and believe that they deserve to be recognized as top 10.
I think Lapointe,Lemaire and Cournoyer are the 3 names who he had to consider, but no others. I could argue Lapointe over Savard maybe, Lemaire was great but who has to leave ? Gainey ? The thing that makes these lists fun is that it's not exact. Players careers, esp. when on great teams were affected by their respective teams needs. Lapointe player with the #4 guy on the depth chart and Savard allowed Robinson to free lance. If Savard played as a California Seal he might've put up better numbers, been singled out more, who knows how things develop. Lemaire was among the best players in teh NHL for his last 3 years, earlier some considered him a floater with a big shot. Gainey was needed in a shutdown role as his team had others to score. If he was drafted by the Leafs would he have been a premier offensive player alongside Sittler ? Really, I couldn't dispute anyone on that list. I'd love to hear Fisher qualify his choices as he's always been pretty funny, but I think his multi media days are done.