View Single Post
Old
01-25-2005, 11:37 AM
Chili

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres11forever
I am a Bob Gainey fan both as a player and as a Builder. He was not the exclusive reason for the Selke, though he did win it four times in a row...Don Marcotte ,Craig Ramsey and Butch Goring were strong candidates as well...and, nobody diminishes Brad Park's place in hockey because Bobby Orr won the Norris and Park did not...
I've never seen a forward who dominated defensively in the way that Gainey did. The other players you mention all had fine careers but they did not dominate physically the way Gainey did, nor did they have his speed. As far as the trophy goes, he would have one or two more if the trophy had been awarded sooner, in my opinion. He won the trophy the first 4 years it was presented. No one else has won it that many times.

And this is from the legends of hockey.net:

Quote:
Gainey's style of play and ability to check and skate with the NHL's top forwards inspired the league to create a new post-season award. Beginning in 1978, the NHL presented the Frank J. Selke Trophy to the top defensive forward in the game. Fittingly, Gainey was the recipient in each of the first four years it was awarded.