View Single Post
Old
02-22-2010, 02:38 AM
Sticks and Pucks

vCash: 500
I agree with those who think Thornton should be benched. This guy just never shows up during big games and has been like that his entire career. Like one of the posters mentioned, they have to run a three-line team. I think it should look like this:

Nash-Getzlaf-Heatley
Toews-Crosby-Iginla
Staal-Richards-Morrow
Marleau-Thornton-Bergeron/Perry

The top line would be very advantageous for Canada. Not only have they proven they can work together in other tournaments but this also frees up the Crosby line as opposing teams will be putting their attention on the Getzlaf line. Crosby and Iginla don't need a guy like Nash. Crosby wants to shoot and so does Iginla. They need a guy like Toews who will go in and do the dirty work along the boards for Crosby. Toews has also shown he can play with those guys. The Richards line will be the main shutdown line. Here you have three physical forwards that can intimidate the other teams' top lines. The fourth line would be an I-don't-care line. Marleau and Bergeron can play certain roles on the team from time to time. Thornton just doesn't deserve to play. As for Perry, he is just flatout terrible. He is by far the slowest forward out there. I don't even need to see his number to know it's him. He took the penalty that led to the 4-2 goal and also gave the Americans their empty netter. If Yzerman made one mistake, it is Perry.

As for the defence, Niedermayer and Pronger are proven winners and with a young defence, they will need to lean on the veterans somewhere down the road. I don't believe either should be benched as I believe they will both find a way to play better. I don't think the defence is the problem on this team. The biggest question mark is still the goaltending.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote