Thread: Comrie Tantrum
View Single Post
Old
09-25-2003, 06:47 PM
BCCHL inactive

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=LoudmouthHemskyfan#1][QUOTE=Van]You cannot blame the referees for that. They're not allowed to assume that a player is faking injury, and make the call based on that assumption.
Quote:

Interesting, I've seen them do it.
Not likely.

What you will see referees do, is wait a few minutes in order to determine how bad the player is hurt. I do it all the time. If a player is down, it doesn't mean that he is automatically injured. He might be winded, in which case I will give 2 minutes after I come to that conclusion. But if the player needs to be taken to the dressing room for medical attention, if he is bleeding (while a technical injury, not always that harmful), I gotta kick the other player out. And don't forget that the referee can give major penalties with his judgment on the severity of the infraction.

I don't remember the exact play with Comrie and Forsberg...but if the trainer (ie: medical professional) says he is injured, there isn't much the referee can do. I'm not saying the Colorado trainer did this, but in such a situation, the referee cannot go back on his call when Forsberg comes back the next shift. What he would likely do, is include that information in his game report after the game.