View Single Post
Old
02-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Skraut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAYK View Post
Something i'd like to say that i forgot to mention in the earlier post, even you are an adult and propably well aware of this:

ALWAYS USE A HELMET!

Even when practicing. I remember slamming the back of my head on the ice when i turned around for some backward's skating and my blade got caught on a hole in the ice. Even i had my helmet on it hurt like hell. My skull would easily had cracked wide open at that speed without a helmet.
Agreed.

As someone who recently started just last summer at age 33, my philosophy from experience is this. There are 2 types of people learning to skate. Those who wear protection, and those who haven't been to the E.R. yet.

I've lost about 45 lbs since I started last summer, and my skating attire is my "fat guy" clothes under which I wear my shin/knee pads and elbow pads. It just isn't worth it to run the risk, and getting used to skating with some/all gear on will help you eventually get where you want to go. Skating in gear also helps you learn a bit faster. You're more willing to take risks and push the envelope and hence learn faster when most of the fear of falling has been taken away.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote