Thread: Plekanec news!
View Single Post
Old
09-25-2003, 08:22 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Also, if you're talking about the future, Ryder, Ward, Higgins, Koivu, Zednik, Kastsitsyn, Ferland, Lapierre, Urquhart, Bulis is not what I consider a soft team, especially considering the monsters we have at D (Souray, Komo, Archer, O'byrne).
I don't know, I don't see it as a particularly gritty team. I think there is still a huge need for grit among the prospect list. Ward, Lapierre, Ferland and Higgins impress me with their grit, but only Lapierre really focuses on that style of play. Maybe Ward as well.

I may not be the best judge of what an adequate amount of grit is as that's the type of hockey I enjoy. Ideally I would like to see a team similar to the St.Louis Blues. Fast-paced hockey; one mucker/grinder/agitator on every line, one sniper, and one playmaker. I absolutely love Scott Mellanby's game, as well as Jackman, Mayers, Danton, Drake, Weight, Tkachuk, Salvador. The team is loaded with grit and talent.

If we look at Colorado in their peak, they had Drury, Forsberg, Deadmarsh, C.Lemieux, Foote, and a good cast of grit among their depth. I just don't see the potential Foote or Deadmarsh here. The players with talent that focus on mixing it up a lot.

In Detroit, they have Shanahan. Yzerman was as gritty as anyone. The Grind Line. Now Chelios and Hatcher.

In NJ, they set the tone as far as developing pesky shadowers. Madden, Holik, Stevens, Colin White, Daneyko, Langenbrunner, Arnott, etcetera.

With the players you mentioned.. I just don't see the comparable talent. Who will emerge as a top 6 forward that can focus on the grittier aspect of the games? Higgins is not the answer there. Lapierre is strictly a depth pest (but I'm excited about him!). Eneqvist is flying under the radar but is much in the same role as Lapierre with more refined offensive skills.

I'd like to see some players drafted for their work ethic, skating, mean streak, character first and foremost from now on. Those are the types of players that can build a foundation for a club.

Sorry for the long post.. it's an interesting topic, and I can't wait until hockey season starts! Preseason is such a tease time of year. I hate Septembers. :p