Thread: Switzerland: Swiss olympic team 2010
View Single Post
Old
02-25-2010, 09:37 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
I don't "know" anything special.

What I meant is some people are constantly bashing Krueger's choices regarding team selection, and those are people who don't realize that building a team out of the 20 best Swiss players is very different from building the best possible team out of 20 Swiss players, who don't understand that you need to think at the team level even if some players who don't make the cut are individually better than some who make the team (I heard someone who wanted to see Guggisberg in the team over Sannitz. As if Guggisberg could win pucks for Sprunger, kill penalties and win faceoffs...), who don't understand that Von Arx or Bärtschi wouldn't put this team in top 4, who don't understand that Switzerland can't rely on talent and needs perfect team play to stand a chance against the top 7, and who don't understand that Switzerland lags far behind the top world championship teams (let alone Olympic teams) in terms of talent, that being in the top 8 more often than not is an achievement and that losing to teams like Latvia, Belarus or Germany once every three years is nothing to be ashamed of.

Every Swiss hockey fan should be thankful our national team was led by such a hockey mind for such a long time, and understand he got the most out of the player pool he had.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote