Old
02-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
I'm not sure Quick is a good comparison at all... he signed that extension at the beginning of this year, after having only played one full season in the NHL, and with only 47 NHL games under his belt. And even then his numbers were rather mediocre, with a .914 save percentage that season (.910 this year). And despite all THAT he's still getting $1,8 million per year, which would suggest to me at least, that $1.8 million is the STARTING point for negotiations, which would then only go up.

To compare, when Quick signed his $1.8 million extension:

* Quick was 24, Halak is 24
* Quick had played 47 NHL games, Halak has played 86 (and counting of course)
* Quick had a .914 save percentage (career), Halak had a .917 save percentage (career) and currently has a .923 save percentage

If you think Halak is going to sign for LESS than what Quick signed for, I would love to hear your logic...
I think Quick had conclusively established himself as his team's #1 NHL starter, however, when he signed the extension. I'm not sure that Halak has quite done that yet. Still. So the games played is somewhat misleading... over the same time period from last year to signing the extension, Quick had played more games than Halak. And that's with a number of Halak's games coming while he was ostensibly a pure backup goalie filling in for an injured Price.

I think the biggest comparison advantage is Quick's RFA status vs. the impending UFA status of others like Rinne. It's a huge difference. No comparable is exact. But Quick is much closer to Halak than Rinne is to Halak IMHO.

That said, I also think the Kings have a bargain with that deal. And you can't expect to get a bargain just because another team did. Especially in that the Kings got him at that price for 3 years. But heading into arbitration, I'd certainly come armed with the Quick deal on the Habs side. Technically, Rinne is not even a valid comparable at all, since he was an impending UFA. What other impending-RFAs signed starter-level deals recently?

Again, no comparable is going to be perfect. But in terms of building a case, I still can't see Halak getting much more than $2M. He can ask for whatever he wants. He won't get it, though. Unless our management is asleep at the switch.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote