View Single Post
Old
02-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Mike27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
Assuming that Mitchell is done for the rest of the season the Canucks will have a little bit of cap space for sure to work with.

Our daily cap hit including Mitchell and Bieksa is $300,777 but that's with a 24 man roster. The maximum allowed per day is $294,300. With Mitchell ($18,135) on LTIR we're under the cap AND we've got up to $12,435 of cap space per day to use.

Not only that but we'll need to clear a roster spot in order to add someone at the deadline so let's assume we send Lukowich ($8,117) down to the minors and go with 14F, 7D and 2G.

That gives us $20,552 of daily cap space to use on a player which in other words means we can add a $3.966M player at the deadline.

We'll likely want to keep a little bit of space in case of injuries so it's pretty safe to say that we'll be able to add around a 3 million dollar player (per year cap hit) at the deadline assuming Mitchell is done for the season.

I might be wrong here but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
It is a little confusing, but it seems to me that when Bieksa went down, that gave the Canucks cap room to bring Demitra off the LTIR.

According to nhlnumbers.com, the Canucks have $.408 of cap space available now, with Bieksa, Mitchell and Bolduc on the LTIR and 22 players on the active roster (remember Baumgartner was sent down).

If Bieksa comes back, the Canucks would have 23 players and would be over the cap.

Something will have to give.

Mike27 is offline   Reply With Quote