View Single Post
Old
02-26-2010, 04:15 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
Although you are a bit tough for the swiss level, which has seriously evolved since Krueger started.
Am I? I often hear how it should be possible to reach the semi-finals of the world championships, but is it a realistic goal?

Let's just take a look at Sweden's last WC roster. Despite more than 20 NHL players declining the opportunity to play in the tournament, they could field a line with Mårtensson and Weinhandl, one of the best non-NHL forward duo, one with Omark and Harju, two of the most skilled young players in Europe, and one with a top SEL player like Wallin and a solid NHLer like Huselius. Patrick Berglund was on the 4th line after an impressive NHL rookie season. Good enough for a bronze medal. That's how deep Sweden is (and consider that Canada or Russia have even bettet depth).

Or we can consider Finland's Olympic team. Jarkko Immonen centers one of the best line in Europe, Ville Peltonen is one of the best non NHL forward of the last decade, and the best we had in Switzerland from 2003 to 2006 (in other words, both are way better than any Swiss forward and would be locks to make our national team), but with Finland's Olympic team they are just depth players.

I think it's just realistic to say that Switzerland lags way behind the top 6 (Slovakia doesn't have the same depth) when you consider that Sweden and Finland, who both have less depth and top end talent than Canada or Russia, can dress players whose resume is far above those of any Swiss player (with some rare exceptions) without even considering NHLers.

That's why I stand by my opinion that reaching a WC semi-final is an unrealistic goal, even though an upset is not out of question.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote