Thread: Salary Cap: So I did some number crunching...
View Single Post
Old
02-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Markov's current cap hit is 5,75M$. If we extend his contract, his cap hit won't increase. We just need to give him two extra years at 1M$ per season la Zetterberg, Alfredsson, Savard...

If Hamrlik still is with us in the summer of 2011, I am sure that he won't ask 5,5M$!

The rest, from a 2011-12 perspective, all of them, are RFAs... managing RFAs is somewhat "easy" imo... at least while sitting in front of a computer screen!

As for "... we'll be in a worst situation in the 2011 summer than we are this summer.", I don't think we are in such a bad situation regarding the upcoming summer.

With a little bit of imagination (for instance, there are plenty of other scenarios, letting go Hamrlik and Plekanec before July 1st - Post #17), I don't think respecting the cap will be a major issue in 2010-11.

It was just one of many possible scenarios, but I did end up with 8M$ in cap space with only two forwards to sign in my "proposed scenario".
If you let go Hamrlik this summer and sign 2 forwards, you have to let go Markov to re-sign the RFAs. Or trade proven NHL players and put youngsters in.

At some point, there's only so many times you can do this before you realize you have a cellar team.

Heading into the summer, we can't think 'oh we'll drop him and him, sign those guys and we'll have fixed our major problems', because the massive a**reaming coming in the 2011 summer is gonna be much more painful. We need a long term plan that might involve some popular players being shipped out withing the year in order to get this team moving forward instead of stagnating with the tendancy of going downwards.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote