View Single Post
Old
02-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Dreakmur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladdy16 View Post
I'm not saying to avoid using a pokecheck, I'm saying to focus on and trust your gap and wait until the forward is forced to make the puck vulnerable due to his diminishing options. When he tries to escape the gap/angle and move the puck elsewhere, you will be able to knock the puck off his stick 10 in 10 times.

It's simply not worth the sacrifice you are making mathematically/geometrically the 9 times that your tactic doesn't work.

You are making things easy on the forward if you initiate the poke check because you would be doing so prior to your ideal gap being initiated, you are doing him a favor by forcing him to make a move before the odds have peaked in your favor. (once your gap is locked on, you shouldn't be in a position to poke check, the puck should be in a neutral position between your feet and his feet, or better yet he's already started protecting it/telling his angle)

Keep in mind we are talking about fundamentals in an ideal situation/basic principles/approaches to think by. Obviously there will be plenty of times throughout a game where you won't have the ideal angle and a poke check might be your best option, to diffuse the situation before it gets worse.
We'll just have to agree to disagree then. I've always had my defensemen play body on body and stick on stick. Use your body to stop him from skating where he wants to skate, and use your stick to stop him from putting the puck where he wants to put it.

Using a pokecheck doesn't eliminate your other options. If it does, you're doing it wrong.

Dreakmur is online now   Reply With Quote