View Single Post
Old
01-27-2005, 02:58 PM
trentmccleary

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob
I'm not sure who Vermette is playing with so that may be an issue

If you ask me the Flames greatest vulnerability at this point I would still have to say the pencilling in of Kobasew as the 'best' (but not only) option at 2nd line RW...
I think Vermette is racking up assists because he was a C for most of the year. 2 years ago, as a LW, he racked up a ton of goals.

I consider Kobasew the best long term option at 2nd line RW. Donovan or Nilsson will never be the threats he could be.
I like the potential 1st, 3rd, 4th lines, defense corps... and goaltending should be pretty solid. But a 2nd line or top 6 with any combination of Kobasew and Lombardi still seems risky.
Vancouver has had 2nd line problems for awhile, but that is only because they stack two stars on the top line. Calgary doesn't have such a luxury. They need to make sure that the secondary scoring threats are effective.
Much is made of Ottawa's lack of playoff success. If anyone is counting the first 4-5 years (total of 8 postseasons), they should be able to see the problem. Alfredsson basically was basically all of our scoring. If even one other player picked it up a little (Yashin--> once... Hossa--> later), we made the 2nd round.