View Single Post
Old
02-27-2010, 10:11 PM
kirsi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
That's a good suggestion to help lace em up. I prefer non waxed laces only to avoid excessive lacebit.

One question for kirsi about the pain on the ankle, have you had your skates baked? I'm assuming yes because it's fairly standard practice to do so when selling new skates. If you have not, get it done. It will help you lace the skate up because when you get it molded to your foot shape it retains a memory and won't open up so wide by default when you take them off after a skate. It will also help remove pressure point areas. Most LHS should be able to do that for you. You may also try some socks that are longer so that they cover that area and offer compressive support. Something like swiftwick socks which I personally use and love a lot. They are thin so you get a good feel for the ice without going barefoot, almost like dress socks but compress your skin a bit similar to diabetic socks to help improve blood flow. They also are made to not retain water. They have some socks made with a material called olefin that actually floats in water (it doesn't soak any water up at all). That will help to keep your foot planted better in the boot vs a standard cotton sock when it gets wet with sweat and occational melted ice from skating.
yeah when i bought my skates i asked about them being baked, and the guy said it probably wasn't a good idea because they are lower end stuff and it would be bad for them (break down the material or something)? in any case he did warm them up at least some and stick them on my feet.

thanks for the socks recommendation - i just bought some under armour socks that i had high hopes for but they are the strangest, hugest socks ever and need to be returned.

kirsi is offline   Reply With Quote