View Single Post
Old
02-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
MathMan you're usually astute and a calming presence to the boards, I agree that Subban's two-game stint was not nearly enough to annoint him the second-coming. That being said, there are, in general, three factors to being a hockey player, in order.

1. Physical
2. Skill
3. Mental

If the team (not fans) thinks that Subban has grown enough physically, has demonstrated use of the specific skills required for his role then they could take a chance and see how he responds mentally - decisions, determination, adaptability, on-ice IQ, etc.

Spacek, from all the games I've seen, does not have the adequate physicality to play in the role we require. He's old, out of shape and slow as molasses. He doesn't like getting hit and doesn't hit. He can still position himself well, make great passes and be generally but quietly effective as a defensive-dman.

We have too many non-physical D-Dmen though -and they're making too much money.

Subban is an elite prospect because he has shown the skills and has the physicality. He can absolutely earn his top-4 role this season or next with his mental response. We don't need to babysit every prospect in the AHL for 3 seasons, the NHL is a young-man's game.

What if the Kings had shoved Doughty in the minors?

My thoughts exactly. You can't be overprotective with all your prospects. It's a case by case situation, and Subban's reactions so far warrants a longer stint with progressively accrued responsibilities. My impression is that he'll react just fine, that's why I'm pretty sure he's up to the task of being #4 on the team already. It's his place to win or to lose.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote