View Single Post
Old
02-28-2010, 11:49 PM
almostawake

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
Let's not go that far. I was in Boston after the Red Sox finally won the World Series for the first time in 86 years and it was an absolute madhouse. The police had pre-greased light poles. And as for N.O. after this SuperBowl, the french quarter..but this is an entire nation partying and I don't think the U.S. has done anything like this since 1980....

That said, Canada is doing what it should, partying like there's no tomorrow!
I don't know about N.O. but I was living in Kenmore square during the Red Sox 2004 run. The party after they beat the Yankee's in game 7 was huge, and it was crazier that there was a lot of vandalism and it degenerated into a riot, then a running battle with police. Because a young women was killed by a rubber bullet in the ALCS riot, they cracked down hard on people in the street after WS. After the WS win people went out and surrounded Fenway, but before long people were lobbing half full beer cans at riot police, then they just started tear gassing everyone. They tear gassed all the way up comm ave.

I was down on the red mile earlier today and it is a way different atmosphere than Boston was. IMO what's happening right now on the streets is much more of a spontaneous expression of joy. People aren't packed as tight and they are much more emotional. In Boston there were some very emotional long time fans, but a lot of people that went out into the streets were just casual fans (a lot of BU students) that were out there to see what they could see.

I'll sum it up like this, right now in Canada people are going out to celebrate, not to just stand around and observe the celebration.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote