View Single Post
Old
03-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Steelhead16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman View Post
It's a bit of a chicken and egg thing; you have to have confidence to make plays, but the only way to gain that confidence is to go for the play in the first place.

I once had a guy on my team who, while very athletic (pro body builder), was new to skating. He went to a few clinics though and really put in the time every week, getting a little better each time. After a few weeks he was stepping up and challenging shooters. I'd watch him from the bench thinking "oh no, here we go..." only to see him strip the forward of the puck by aggressively moving in on him. Good for him. Once in a while he got burned, but hey, you live by the sword you die by the sword.

Don't wait for confidence. Nobody makes every play. Not ever gonna happen. I always have told kids I have coached to make mistakes going 100%. It's like anything else, the more you do it the better you get. Being afraid to make a mistake is the best way to make a mistake. You will never learn what not to do unless you do it. Key is to recognize the mistake and not repeat it. If you go 100% you will make more good plays than bad. And the more you do it the mistakes will be even less. You watched your teammate and said "good for him". Say good for yourself instead.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote