View Single Post
Old
03-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Unstable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbageteam View Post
Thing is, it's not popular. Only a select few who are out to lunch and 30 years behind the times still think it's a viable idea when virtually every sport is professional nowadays. Olympics are not for amateurs anymore, get over it. USA gets like 20% of Olympic revenue to fund its athletes, Canada spent over $100 million to "own the podium".

I can see NHL having little incentive from a business standpoint to send their players to Sochi which is a shame. Hockey needs to grow internationally and Olympic tournaments greatly facilitate the sport - the level of success of international soccer probably owes 90% of it to the World Cup. The team owners obviously care little about the sport of hockey (and should rethink why they are even owning a team in the first place if they are strictly in a profit-first mentality - I imagine with their financial resources there are far smarter ways to make money than owning a hockey team) if they aren't willing to sacrifice two weeks of regular season play for the best way to market it globally.

I love hockey, I like the NHL, I watch the games, I buy playoff tickets in the years my team is in it, but I absolutely see no reason why anyone would complain about losing TWO NON-PLAYOFF WEEKS in FOUR YEARS where the absolute best players compete against each other. I'm guessing these people never stepped outside North America and think Africa is a country.
But what does the global marketing get them? Furthermore, I didn't see a lot of NHL or NHL team logos during the Olympics, myself.

And skip the ad hominems, would you? That's just childish.