View Single Post
Old
03-01-2010, 05:31 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
You dont convert, you build awareness (which is basically what you are saying in your first paragraph i guess). The Olympics by itself cant turn people over to hockey, youre right. The NHL has to do a better job at getting it on TV other than Versus. People dont really like ESPN (from what ive heard), but its one of the major sport stations in the US, and its important for the NHL to eventually get back on with ESPN
I think most people in this thread can agree that there's no one solution to grow the game in America. Certainly, Olympic participation helps, but it's just one element. A legitimate national TV contract is another. Another "Miracle" moment would help, as would a prolonged stretch of on-ice success in a couple more expansion markets.

I don't argue that the Olympics doesn't help the NHL to some degree. It certainly does. But I don't think the NHL gets enough in return for what it provides to the IOC and NBC. Maybe the NHL doesn't have enough clout to demand an equal return, but having players speak of mutiny for Sochi weakens any position the NHL might take that would ultimately benefit it and its players.

Selfishly, I hope the NHL participates in 2014, because I'm considering going ... and even if I don't go, I plan to watch. But for the good of the league, it would be best if it could negotiate more exposure (either during the Olympics itself or of NHL on NBC broadcasts outside of the games) from the U.S. network involved.