View Single Post
Old
03-01-2010, 05:57 PM
86Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Makarov View Post
The Canada Cup was only a friendly tournament. It doesn't have any value.

BTW, to be a best on best tournament, the Canada Cup should have had the best referees and not those chauvinist cheaters.
Nice - you've completely undermined some of the most outstanding efforts by your countrymen (I assume you're a Russian) in international competition. Go ahead and tell Larionov, Makarov, Fetisov, Krutov, etc. that the 3 Canada Cups they participated in in the 1980's were a complete waste of time and didn't hold any value. Because I'm sure they would think differently, and the way that they competed in those tournaments showed me that they cared; they were outstanding, and a pleasure to watch play.

I really don't pay much attention to the World Championships; I know the Europeans do, but its not a big deal in North America given the timing of the tournament (in the middle of NHL playoffs). Still, I appreciate the efforts by the Canadian teams (and all teams for that matter), and to say that its meaningless for whatever reason is undercutting the spirit of competion and level of effort that the athletes put into that. Just my 2 cents...

86Habs is offline   Reply With Quote