View Single Post
03-01-2010, 07:17 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
That would just give us a chance to create another miracle. Which we doubtlessly would do. This is America after all

Seriously, to own is to dominate. Canada has not Dominated mens hockey in the modern age. Far from it.

Reel off another three or four golds in a row and the beers are on me.
I'm not arguing that Canada is currently the dominant team in men's hockey (and I'm Canadian), because we're not, and our success in the last decade or two proves that out - I'm arguing the fact that before 1998, Canada (and every other country for that matter) was limited to amateur players, while Russia was permitted to bring their top professionals. So, of course they won more often than not - the Miracle on Ice was indeed a miracle. Us Canadians do not consider pre-1998 Olympics to be "best-on-best" competitions (as we were limited to amateurs), nor do we consider World Championships to be "best-on-best" because all rosters are constrained by the NHL playoffs. So what we're left with, pre-1998, are Canada Cups and the odd Rendez-Vous or Summit Series, at which we have a very decent record.

86Habs is offline   Reply With Quote