View Single Post
Old
03-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
I say yes for obvious reasons. I would be interested in hearing someone with the opposite's view explain his argument.
The argument is simple. I do not want the players from my team risking injury during an outside competition during the stretch drive to the playoffs. Could you imagine the uproar if Ovechkin had a season ending injury at the Olympics? Olympic hockey is great, no doubt, but my the Flyers winning the Cup has way more meaning to me than the Olympics do. I'd be enraged if an outside competition killed their chances.

Frankly I also think it's ridiculous the league shuts down its doors in the middle of the season for an outside competition. This is supposed to be the best league in the world. It shouldn't be taking a backseat to any other competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
Your country is more important than your town, get it through your skull!

I want a rematch in Sochi!!
They are not my country. They are hockey players wearing my country's colors.

My team is also way more than to me than just "my town." I follow my team 365 days a year for every year of my life. I invest in them both emotionally and financially. I watch all 82 games + the playoffs. I spend countless of hours discussing them on the internet. They and their success means a whole lot more to me than a random collection of players I don't care about other than the handful of games they play once every 4 years. I don't know how anyone who actively follows an NHL team puts Olympic gold above the Cup when the average fans invest way more into their NHL team.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote