View Single Post
Old
03-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
I am one Canadian that got on his case early on. Stuff like not calling a timeout in the USA round robin game and not playing Crosby as much. In the dying seconds of the gold medal game I couldn't understand why Niedermayer was on the ice and why Getzlaf took that crucial faceoff. If you have Bergeron on the team for a specific reason why not let him take that faceoff and be on the ice to protect the lead? I noticed that right away prior to the goal.

But like all Canadians I forget that this guy has been to three Cup finals (winning one) and also won that very important WJC championship for Canada in 1997 vs. a strong US team. He came through in the end but he nearly failed allowing Canada to sit back in a defensive shell in the third period. You never protect a lead until about 2 minutes left. Until then, it's always pedal to the medal. This is why I am glad Ken Hitchcock was nowhere near the bench (think 2008 World Championships gold game).

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if Babcock returned, but sooner or later they have to give the reigns to Brent Sutter. That is the next best logical step in this process, a less militant version of Mike Keenan

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote