View Single Post
Old
03-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Canuck21t

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
The argument is simple. I do not want the players from my team risking injury during an outside competition during the stretch drive to the playoffs. Could you imagine the uproar if Ovechkin had a season ending injury at the Olympics? Olympic hockey is great, no doubt, but my the Flyers winning the Cup has way more meaning to me than the Olympics do. I'd be enraged if an outside competition killed their chances.

Frankly I also think it's ridiculous the league shuts down its doors in the middle of the season for an outside competition. This is supposed to be the best league in the world. It shouldn't be taking a backseat to any other competition.

They are not my country. They are hockey players wearing my country's colors.

My team is also way more than to me than just "my town." I follow my team 365 days a year for every year of my life. I invest in them both emotionally and financially. I watch all 82 games + the playoffs. I spend countless of hours discussing them on the internet. They and their success means a whole lot more to me than a random collection of players I don't care about other than the handful of games they play once every 4 years. I don't know how anyone who actively follows an NHL team puts Olympic gold above the Cup when the average fans invest way more into their NHL team.
When I see players from Russia, from Sweden, etc. on my NHL team, I wonder why are they playing in my town? The answer: MONEY. Wow, I feel so connected to them... NOT. When I see Johnathan Toews who plays far away in Chicago, I say, wow, he's a product of our country. I see Sidney Crosby and I think that Canada can still produce amazing skills. I feel proud when I watch them play. THAT is why Olympic hockey is so important to me. The NHL is a gimmick and I feel no connection to the Czech player who will go back to his country right after the season is over. When I see the "random" players as you say unite once very four years, I care a whole lot more because there's one thing we have in common: our home and native land.

Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote