View Single Post
Old
03-02-2010, 04:23 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
And with Canada's steady youth movement, I could certainly see those two nations continuing to battle it out for international supremacy. I think Sweden will likely take a step backward and the Russians aren't going to be leaps and bounds better, especially with most of their better defensemen falling prey to age. Finland is going to be hit hard, by all of their great retirees calling it a career and Slovakia won't be any better.

I think the Canada v.s. U.S. rivalry is only going to get better and hockey, in North America, can only benefit. However, I think the playing field, for the rest of the world, won't be any easier.
If I was looking at it from an organizational standpoint on the big 5 (CAN, USA, RUS, SWE, FIN), I'd have to rank their futures for the next decade (right now of course I can't look that far ahead) like this:

1. Canada
2. United States
3. Sweden
4. Russia
5. Finland

Sweden has a pretty underrated crop of talent, but their defense in four years is going to be an absolute killer even without Lidstrom. There is some serious young talent coming out of Sweden right now that I just don't think Russia and Finland can keep up with.

Even so, Canada will always find ways to refill the tank. They will always have talent coming out. The US however is starting to show the signs of a brighter future than American hockey has ever seen.

It's going to be fun watching North America compete internally for a long time.