View Single Post
Old
03-02-2010, 08:17 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
I understand. I assumed that most of the full-timers were getting paid for the year and, hence, there was no additional expense. I would also assume the part-timers were not paid since there was no work for them. Most of the fixed costs are "fixed". Insurance, benefits, etc. would be the same since they're annual costs.

There would be some incremental costs but I wouldn't think a lot.

The difference between the Preds and the newspaper is that the newspaper comes out 365 days a year. Losing two weeks would mean two weeks worth of revenue lost. For the Preds, they get 41 home games and, even with the lost two weeks, they will get the revenue from the same number of home games. So, there's no revenue lost (barring, of course, any loss of interest in the team with two weeks off somewhat offset by the interest that the Olympics have generated).
Just what type of boost in interest was there from Nagano and Torino? Expect a similar bump (or lack thereof) from the Sochi games. Prime time hockey? Not from Sochi. Mid afternoon gold medal game? Nope.

As I said, the league probably has players there ... but only after negotiations with the NHLPA/IIHF/IOC. None of us here know the financial implications of pushing the playoffs back further into baseball season, but I'm sure the league would rather not compete for TV ratings and ticket sales with MLB. What is the impact on single game ticket sales when the schedule is compressed? The Preds have an extra 3-4 games than usual over a four week period in March. What about the extra back to backs? Cost of maintaining a sheet of ice for extra two weeks?

Just think ... Cal O'Reilly just got an almost $30k paid vacation and he's the lowest paid player on the roster. Not bad for about ten days between the last game and first practice.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote