Thread: Larry Brooks: Slats Stays The Course
View Single Post
Old
03-04-2010, 07:31 AM
HockeyBurd*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
That's true, it could have been much worse, but at the same time it could have been better. The general consensus on these boards say thay he probably should have sold some pieces. While it was highly unlikely that he would sell given the team's situation of city and owner, it would have been the wise thing to do.

I don't think that Jokinen and Prospal are coming back (unless both take similar deals which I can't see happening (or in Jokers case even less money) so it would have been worthwhile to get something of value for them.

I am happy that he didn't mortgage the future for rentals, so in that regard I have to give credit where credit is due.
I certainly don't give him any credit. I just can't get upset given the reality. As a buyer, nothing good could have happened. As a seller (the prudent course)... well just look at their history as sellers and the prospects/picks that they have gotten. Not the brightest group of talent scouts to say the least. Now it would have been better. Maybe lightning strikes and they draft exceptionally well. Maybe Sather is out by the time they draft one of the picks and somebody competent takes over (I'm so holding my breath). So of course it would have been better had they sold. But the fact that it absolutely wasn't going to happen but for a healthy dose of delusion on the part of the inexplicably hopeful fans... coupled with the fact that even had they sold, the chances of anything good coming of it is as likely as Alex Bourret salvaging his HOF career... and you can't help but be morbidly satisfied with Sather and company simply not screwing up and digging an even deeper grave.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote