View Single Post
Old
03-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lahey* View Post
3 Olympics does not erase 60 years of history.

Also, the CAN-RUS game was almost as big as the CAN-USA game for me, despite there not being a medal up for grabs.

Like I said, though, if America can stay ultra competitive (aka contending) in every level up until the next Olympics, then things could change. USA just needs more international success to grow their consistency on all levels. I could see it happening.
The Canada/Russia rivalry was based mostly upon politics. Once Russians began entering the NHL the rivalry began to fade quickly. The emergence of the United States since 1991 has meant they have become Canada's biggest rivals. Just look at the evidence. 1991 Canada Cup final, 1996 world cup final, 2002 Olympic Gold medal game, 2010 olympic gold medal game. That is 4 of the last 7 best on best championships where Canada and the United States have met in the championship. Perhaps the biggest proof is the difference in the buzz between the United States against Russia games in the early stages of the tournament. There was a lot more buzz surrounding the preliminary game with the United States than with the Russia quarterfinal game.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote