Thread: Larry Brooks: Slats Stays The Course
View Single Post
Old
03-04-2010, 10:18 AM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I'm not saying Jokinen has any value at the draft; I'm disputing the idea that there was a deal to be.had for Jokinen yesterday. Again, people have thrown out the idea that Jokinen could have brought back a 2nd with no strings attached. I cannot locate the team with both the need and the cap space to make a deal. A contract would have to be brought back. Sather finds a way to correct his mistakes, and allow for more cap flexibilty, but that should be jeopardized to a add a 2nd round pick?
Oh, I agree with you. But Jokinen did have SOME value yesterday. I think expecting to get a 2nd for him straight up was unrealistic. The economics of the cap would likely preclude such a deal.

But that isn't to say that we couldn't have traded him for a cheaper pending-UFA and a pick. Unlikely perhaps, but possible.

In any event, while I was in the sell camp at one point this year, I found myself happy with the way yesterday unfolded. I like the way this team is playing right now and I feel we have a good shot to make the playoffs, but at the same time, I still feel that there was no move or set of moves that would have enabled us to seriously compete for the cup. So I'm glad that Sather did not squander any assets.

I will continue to root for this team to make the playoffs and if and when they do, I will root for them to win every game and prove me wrong. Because at the end of the day, winning is ALWAYS better than losing.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote