View Single Post
Old
03-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

vCash: 500
Should the medal round have a different format?

One thing I've never liked about international hockey tournaments is that you win for gold and bronze, and lose for silver. It's sad to see the silver medalists dejected, and the bronze medalists celebrating (hell, the Finns took a team photo!)

What I propose is that what is currently the bronze medal game be used to determine rankings for two additional games to be added - the silver medal game and the bronze medal game.

The silver medal game would pit the loser of the gold medal game against the winner of what is currently the bronze medal game (for the Olympics, it'd've been USA vs. Finland)

The bronze medal game would pit the loser of the silver medal game against the loser of what is now the bronze medal game (for the Olympics this would have been the loser of USA/Finland vs. Slovakia.

Obviously it would take some re-jigging of the entire tournament to squeeze in these extra games, and I don't particularly like how the fourth-ranked team only plays one extra game while the second- and third-ranked teams play two, but I definitely like the idea of winning for each madal.

Thoughts?

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote