View Single Post
Old
03-04-2010, 04:20 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Of the forwards who played 15+ minutes per game for the Lightning, Halpern is the worst scorer and has the worst plus-minus. He also had the fewest shots on goal per game among those forwards. What is it, precisely, that he does? He's pretty good at faceoffs, and also pretty good at blocking shots ... for a forward, anyway. If Halpern was a young player, it would be one thing -- those could be building blocks of a future career. But he isn't. He's as good as he's going to get. Players don't discover a new level of ability at 33 years old. It just doesn't happen.
Do you really think the Kings traded for Jeff Halpern hoping that he'll become a 22 year old scorer who can pot 50 goals? They picked him up for the remainder of the season (and just for that, since he is a UFA next year if I'm not mistaken) to fill a role. His role right now is a 4th liner. Lombardi, Murray, even Halpern himself has said as much. He's here to come in with his experience and help a young team however he can. We're not looking for him to replace Kopitar. We were trying to upgraded one of the things this young team is lacking (or was)...4th line players. How can you argue that Purcell, sitting in the box, can fill that role? Have you ever watched Purcell play? Like, REALLY watched him this season? He was lost, regardless of the line or linemates they put him with. That's like saying Greene doesn't have a place on this team because he doesn't score or make plays like Doughty. I don't get why you are so intent on having this team stand pat and not try and improve. When you're a good team, it doesn't matter that you lost one of THREE 3rd rounders, or an underachieving guy like Purcell. I bet you're the same guy who wishes we kept Brian Boyle.