View Single Post
Old
03-04-2010, 07:29 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
JT, you are using team stats (+/- and PK%) on a bad TEAM to make an argument about one player. It don't work that way.
... It would be one thing if he was in the middle of the pack of the team in +/-, but he's not. He's at the bottom of it. I find it curious as to the fact that Jack Johnson has been hammered all season for his +/- and somehow Halpern gets a pass for his.

Quote:
And you're logic is completely false. IE: Scuderi, OD and Williams have won a cup. Halpern hasn't. Therefore, Halpern has nothing to offer. I don't even need to break that down, but there simply isn't any logic in that thought. Its just you creating threads between those separate thoughts.
... Where's the logic in saying he is a leader? How many points are you willing to give for "leadership" on poor to mediocre teams? And hell, I didn't say he had nothing to offer, I said he didn't have nearly as much to offer as guys who've actually had some playoff success. That's an incorrect assertion? Go ahead and break down for me where a guy who hasn't had success in the postseason has anywhere near as much to offer as someone who's won the Cup. Tell me.

Quote:
From your constant harping that Teddy has never hurt the team, it sounds to me like you prefer a placeholder than a role player. Your point about Halpern not getting any better is quite meaningless as well. Sure, Purcell MAY (this word can not be stressed enough) improve, at varying degrees, from what he is now to great, or to decent or the just marginally better. He may also never go anywhere.
... I prefer a guy who isn't hurting the team at this point who has more than an even chance to get better as he gains experience over a guy who hasn't been a good player for over two years and is well past the point where he's going to improve his game. It's a basic comparison, but do you want a 24 year old who has 25 points and is a -3 in his 91 game career -- or a 33 year old who has 33 points and is a -26 in his last 107 games? Also, how many games did Purcell get to gel with any particular line? How many games was Purcell played out of position? Obviously, he's been a disappointment scoring-wise this season; anyone can see that. So, that's it? It's time to pull the plug and install someone whose best days have been three years plus in the rear-view mirror? What purpose does it serve?

Quote:
We just don't know. So Halpern won't be getting any better. IS HE SUPPOSED TO? Is there a single person in this entire fanbase or organization or league that expects Halpern to improve upon the game he's been using to cash a nice paycheck since Teddy was still in P.E. class at middle school? No. You won't find a single one.
... No ****.

Quote:
He wasn't brought here to improve his own game, he was brought here to play his own game, which is to block shots and win face-offs and provide depth. You admit he can do these things well. So what's the problem?
... Aside from winning faceoffs and blocking shots, he's a negative player. I've said this twice now; I'm surprised I have to spell this out for you again.

Quote:
We also know that the Kings have plenty of other draft picks and forward prospects who have made more of their respective opportunities, regardless of quality or special team minutes (Moller, Parse) and others who have just as much promise and potential (Loktionov, Schenn), and the simple fact that there are only so many roster spots to go around.
... Parse has made more use of his minutes than Purcell. No one's arguing that; it's why Parse received more minutes. He earned them. The jury's still out on Moller; he's scored at a bit higher pace than Purcell but has been more mistake-prone. I still like Oscar, though ... and I would feel the same way if he got traded as I am with Purcell being dealt.

Quote:
You usually use such good, if not myopic a times in regards to numbers, logic. Here you simply have none, save for a general departure with the franchise as to where they are at the moment in terms of philosophy, in so far as management, along with the rest of us, are willing to give up some youth and future to bolster the playoff run now, whereas your philosophy seems to be "hell with the playoffs, hang on to the prospects as long as humanly possible."
... Where have I said "to hell with the playoffs" anywhere here? You and I both know who has led them to the playoffs -- the nucleus of the team; Smyth, Doughty, Kopitar, Frolov, Brown, Scuderi, O'Donnell, Simmonds, Johnson, Stoll, the REAL nucleus. THAT group, the elite of the team, is going to determine success and failure this season. How does keeping the prospects on the team affect that nucleus negatively in any way? How does not wanting to trade prospects for washed-up journeymen affect the nucleus positively in any way? How does keeping the cohesion of the team intact somehow fail to improve their chances in the playoffs?

Quote:
Also, once again, you have zero regard for any tact or knowledge by management and coaching and blindly side with the player. Its never the players fault for not making the most of his minutes, its always some elephant in the room or monkey placed on the players back, or better yet, an invisible noose tied around the player's ability to contribute in a meaningful way with the ice time he is given.
... That's a load of **** and you know it, JDM. Are you telling me that someone can't hold management AND players accountable? I don't need to hate players on the team to be a fan of it. I don't need to make up a retarded nickname for a player in some desperate attempt to be funny about a player I don't favor. Just because someone points out legitimate reasons why a player may not be producing does not automatically mean that the player is never at fault. And on top of that, I haven't said Lombardi has been a **** GM either, he's been about average. Like the players, he has his good points and his bad points. I don't agree with the deal, but it's done. Just because I don't agree with YOU does not give you a legitimate reason to dump this sort of hyperbolic pile of ****. I expected that from the trolls, but I didn't from you.