View Single Post
Old
01-31-2005, 11:49 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500
How old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessimanrules
The bottom is the NHL needs a cap. Period. I've read a lot of post here on this subject supporting not having a cap and I don't agree with any. If you don't like Gary because he over expanded, hasn't improved the game that's fine. If you take a baseball mentality and don't trust the owners which is idiotic in my opinion, that is your right.

The game simply doesn't make money. It didn't make money in 1994 when it was red hot with the Rangers winning the cup. There simply aren't that many hockey fans and there will never be. It's shocking to me that for 10 to 15 years all I have heard about is greedy athletes and now we have boards like this one where a lot of fans support these greedy athletes.

The NHL more then any sport needs a cap. For starters, arbitratration raises salaries a lot and that can't be controlled to a great extent by the owners. Second, like any sports system, one or two owners can raises salaries for everybody which is an enormous problem. Third, the sport doesn't have a huge fan base to generate revenue and it never will because it's not a sport that most people enjoy. Fourth, the T.V. revenue doesn't exist and it probably never will since blacks and hispanics don't watch the sport in this country.

There are some I notice here that write pages and pages of garbage trying to state the NHL doesn't need a cap and it's ridiculous. It comes down to one thing. The sport doesn't make MONEY and it never will make enough MONEY not to have a salary cap. It's the nature of the game and the fan base. Blacks and hispanics are never going to watch this game in decent numbers no matter how much the game improves. I don't understand what is so hard for people here to understand.
And the reason I ask is not meant to be insulting, but it lends credence to why the players don't trust the owners.

Thanks.