View Single Post
Old
03-05-2010, 10:55 AM
densetsu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
How come guys in cages or visors get hit in the face so much? Not talking about your buddy here just in general. Everybody who points out it is dumb to not have face protection always has storied about being hit in the face a lot. I havnt worn face protection since leaving Juniors like 7-8 years ago and have been hit like twice maybe three times. Out of those three times i did have to get stitched once on my brow though.
Perhaps these people play at a level where they need facial protection; I'm under the impression that at lower levels, you need more protection because players tend to fling their sticks in the air, have more collisions, can't control their shots, etc. A player in a cage/visor may also change their playing style and be more aggressive -- putting them at greater risk for being hit in the face -- because they know they are protected in that area.

Quote:
Saying someone is dumb for not wearing facial protection is just as ignorant as saying someone is a kitten for wearing facial protection.
I'd like to agree with that statement -- because I despise blanket statements -- but I just don't see a reason with enough weight to it that would make you not wear facial protection.

Guys claim their vision is severely impaired with a cage, for example, and that there's no way they can play the game with one on. Yet there's a ton of people who *can* see though a just fine. There's a wide number of cage designs (different placement of bars) and finishes (some say white/black/grey/chrome bars are better for vision); so if one doesn't work for you, there's one out there that will. There may be some genuine cases where cages don't work, but not to the extent where 1/3 to 1/2 the players out there don't wear facial protection. I think these "vision impaired" people just feel that they're too good for a cage, or something to that effect.

Which, honestly, is fine in my mind. It's their choice. I just hate hearing excuses about guys saying "I can't see!" when really, the big motivator is that they just don't want to wear facial protection out of pride.

Quote:
Maybe if i played a lower level i would wear facial protection, it seems everyone is getting their cages/visors rattled all the time at the lower levels.
There ya go! We just agreed on something.

Quote:
PS This "i dont get payed to play" statement is kinda dumb. The majority of adults here probably make more then minor pro guys and if you get hurt it doesnt matter if you work in an office or play hockey, you still cant work and do your job.
Ya, but if you're a pro and you get injured, you still get paid.

Last edited by densetsu: 03-05-2010 at 11:51 AM.
densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote