View Single Post
Old
03-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Really don't see how blame for that goal needs to be shared...if Leighton stays in his net and the puck is centered, then Pronger effed up in not blocking the pass. Nothing bad happens if Leighton stays in his crease on that play.
Pronger let Vanek skate directly at the puck. He didn't buy Leighton any time at all, which he should've if he was going to ask him to play it. Pronger is a slow dude, if everybody always did their job on D nobody would ever score, so I'm not gonna kill him for it, but I'm not putting all the blame on Leighton either (though your point about leaving it in the corner is legit).

Quote:
Some rebounds are not going to get controlled, absolutely. That third goal was controllable, but he didn't kick it so it just stayed there. That's what Leighton does...he just lets pucks hit him and they go where they go...it isn't even that he doesn't control rebounds well, he barely tries to control 'em.
I would want to watch it again, but if I remember there was a pass through the high slot to the far face off circle, and the shot on was pretty hard, to the far-side leg pad. That's not a save that will routinely result in a controlled rebound. There just aren't that many guys that have feet that quick.

Quote:
The majority of real "starters" do not bunt rebounds in the low slot with that level of consistency...or they cease to be "starters."
If by "real" you mean "worthy to start in the eyes of HFBoards and Jester", then there are only like ~15 starters in the NHL. The other 15 clubs have their Leightons. If you're starting in the NHL, you're an NHL starter as far as I am concerned.

I am not saying Leighton's control is at the better end of the spectrum, it clearly isn't. I am merely saying the rebound control drum gets pounded at some inappropriate times, for example, that overtime goal last night.

Quote:
You weren't understanding that discussion if you think I particularly care about SVPCT in an individual game. SVPCT in an individual game is a pretty much worthless stat.

Just like a guy going 0/4 in baseball is a worthless stat.
No, I understood your points in the earlier discussion. One game can be a microcosm of an entire season of goal tending. The same way if a career .250 hitter goes 1/4, hits a fastball that he always hits, strikes out twice on a curve he always strikes out on and grounds out on a sinker when he's been doing that all season, then that game was a good microcosm of his season.

Quote:
Well, no, because I still don't believe in the volatility difference between goalies that you seem to think exists out there...and haven't seen any empirical evidence of it.
If you think all NHL goalies are more-or-less equally consistent, then we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote