Old
03-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...286/story.html

I wanted to post this so you guys could read this part:

I heard from a highly placed source in Europe, an expert in hockey on that continent in general and Sweden in particular. His assessment was not flattering to the Canadiens organization: "From a European perspective," he wrote, "the Habs have maybe the worst Euro recruitment in the league. Many clubs have taken the opportunity to sign good Euro free-agents. Not Montreal.

"Considering that 25 to 30 per cent of NHL players are Europeans, a well-run club can not only have European scouts, but you need to have some kind of director of European recruitment, as Detroit has in Hakan Andersson." He was also critical of the way the Canadiens develop the Europeans in their system: "It's not enough to pick a European here and there. A European strategy is needed and this is what has made the Wings what they are. The Canadiens should be the role model, not Detroit. Montreal has done a poor job with Sergei Kostitsyn, Pavel Valentenko, Alexander Perezhogin and I am afraid that AK46 (Andrei Kostitsyn) will never live up to the potential. All these players have been brought up too fast."
There's so much wrong with this statement it's hard to know where to begin.

The only player that remotely applies to is Sergei and with him it became a matter of bringing him up or losing him for nothing (not to mention the injuries involved).

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote