View Single Post
Old
03-08-2010, 11:01 AM
MJALLTHEWAY

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
Why did you bring Bob Gainey into this discussion? Because Tikhonov said nice things about him? So what, Tikhonov also said that in the NHL (of that era) majority of games look similar to the level of Soviet Pervaia Liga, which means that Tikhonov really never thought that the NHL of those years was particularly skilled. The NHL became really good when a lot of Europeans started playing in that league. So saying that Semin will never amount half the player Bob was is just "homerism".

And no, I do not consider Mike Richards elite, I don't really care what GM's in the NHL say, NHL is business first and sports second as was indicated again today how they were covering all the failed doping tests in Fleury book. Getslaf is not elite and don't get me started on Green, nice offensive player but with huge defensive holes in his game. Everybody else you inlcuded are good NHL players but come on, how are they elite?
Isn't that the problem with every Russian player not named Datsyuk?

You're a funny dude.

Seeing as how the Canadians won the Olympic tournament with no high level talent outside of Crosby, and a team full of scrubs, I think we can now agree that Canada winning was a great upset? Especially beating all those skilled Russians 7-4, that was a huge HUGE upset as well?

Lastly, this is where you are completely wrong on your premise. You talk about skill and fundamentals as if skating, stickhandling and shooting are the only fundamental skills. Hitting/Getting hit, cycling and defensive positioning are all fundamentals as well.

The difference between Canadian skill in shooting/stickhandling and skating with the Russians is not that great. The difference between Canadian skill in hitting/cycling/defensive positioning with the Russians is far greater. That's why we won. Everything you've denounced as non-skill won vs. the Russians.

Also, I'll leave you with some quotes from Larionov about Canadian hockey.

Quote:
"We are trying to prove to ourselves that hockey [in North America] is bad and primitive, that we don't need what they are doing here. But look what the Canadians did to us. In almost every game situation, there was tremendous support for each other throughout the ice. In every zone there were people who were ready to fight and help out a teammate."

"One person has a bad day - so what? There are 20 on the team. In the Stanley Cup playoffs it often happens that in the beginning, the stars step back in the shadows and it's up to [players like the Detroit Red Wings'] [Kirk] Maltby and [Kris] Draper and [Darren] McCarty to carry the team."

MJALLTHEWAY is offline   Reply With Quote