View Single Post
Old
03-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggernaut View Post
Do you place no responsibility on the players?

I'm not going into details, but the two you speak of had quite notorious reputations for their lack of maturity, extracurricular activities, and lack of professional commitment (off-season and off-ice training).

It's not like MTL doesn't provide it's players with the same world class facilities, trainers, nutritionists, psychologists, equipment, etc, etc, etc. as any other NHL franchise provides its players. It's up to the player to understand, and use these to their advantage and development.

There seems more to be a sense of entitilement to the young players at the almost celeberty like status they gain locally once they simply crack the line-up. It comes as no suprise to myself that many of our young players seem to regress after they first make the team. And then come the stories about their extracurriculars.

It's rather unfortunate for our organization that in some cases it takes a slap in the face, or the kick in the ass of being traded for these guys to realize that their habits need to change.
No, I won't put any responsibility on the players concerned.

Very much like I won't whine about my kid being spoiled at 18 if I spoil him his whole life.

Sure, you can say these kids have certain responsibilities, but the fact of the matter is they become extremely popular here, make tons of money and they're barely 20.
Is it normal to see so many players get sucked into the nightlife here??..Of course they will be tempted.

Players are investments. I don't know about you, but if I invest in a house, I won't wait until it's ran down to solve problems.
Same thing can be applied with players. Before they slip up, make sure you have them well surrounded, make sure you know what they do at night and on weekends, make sure they eat properly, etc...
Instead, we wait until Ribs grows a constant white mustache and them ship him out (even though he was still one of our most productive/promising players).

I'm not going to blame any kid to come into Mtl and want to party as a celebrity millionaire. It's pretty much the dream of every kid out there, so I can't possibly hold them responsible for it.

It's entirely the organization's fault that these players couldn't perform well in Mtl.
The fact that they end up producing elsewhere is proof than there's no reason why they couldn't have done it here. It's the organization's DUTY to turn their draft picks into good NHL players.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote