View Single Post
Old
03-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I had no idea my two or three sentences on Avery were worth two angry, multi-paragraph posts. The fact is that he used to contribute more offense. I'm not talking about when he's behind the net with the puck. I'm talking about when he's in the neutral zone with the puck and passes it nowhere near his teammates or gives it away. He looks a little lost out there.
I'm not blaming him for the state of the team this year, but his performance hasn't helped things.
I'll say again:

So did Drury, Redden, Rozsival, (and Higgins and Kotalik on their teams). You're blaming Sean Avery, a guy who isn't really supposed to be relied on for much offense, for his production being down? It's a luxury that when the TEAM is producing, Avery will contribute some points on top of doing his job as a pest and grinder. When the entire team is down in offensive production, significantly, what do you expect? It's not like we see an Avery - Prospal - Gaborik line out there where we should be wondering why Avery can't put up 50 points.

By the way, Avery has 25 points with 16 games remaining. He could easily finish with 30+ which isn't even worth complaining about for a grinder on this team... what do you want from him? He's 6th on the team behind Gabby, Prospal, Dubinsky, Cally and DZ. Ahead of 7M Drury and everyone else.

I mean nobody has lived up to expectations this year, really (you know who the exceptions are), but Avery on pace for 30 points is right around where I'd expect him to be if the team was putting up more points, maybe 5-8 points more from him? When we're getting on Avery's lack of production, and he's 6th on the team with 25 points and nearly 20% of the season remaining... I think we've run out of things to complain about.

Look at the team as a whole before you complain about individual players. How can anyone be producing "as expected" on a team that's struggle to find offense as much as we have this year?